Pages

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Overdoing It

For the last two weeks I've had a welcomed break from writing. Specifically, script and development work. At first, I wasn't sure how it would go but soon realised it was what I needed.

It's said that you should write everyday in some capacity and we should. However, I have learnt that every once in a while it's nice to step back and have a short time out.

For me, the greatest pressure in my life are the expectations I place on myself. This isn't ideal. It pays to know when you're being unreasonable but it's also healthy to push yourself at times. Like anything, it's about balance. Only now am I realising the importance on easing up and taking breaks.

A valid reason to take a short break is to catch up on the things that have been piling up while you've been focused on writing. Like a cluttered space things soon stack up and can pollute your mind. It's a great way to refresh, de-clutter and recharge the batteries.

During the short break you may find some new inspiration and motivation. It may deepen your faith in writing, and yourself. It may make you adapt to a more healthier way of working.

If you can't remember the last time you took a break from writing - it might be time.

It's all too easy to lose yourself in writing but discipline also lies in knowing when to step back and do other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts